Re: pcbnew - dimension feature - outside, free_text

Le 17/11/2016 à 17:25, Jacek Drewniak a écrit :
> Thank You Tomasz for exlaination.
>
> I haven't known that there is a difference beetween view types other than in rendering.
> I also have read on IRC channel that legacy mode will be banned and I shouldnt worry about this draw
> mode. It is true? Should I also make change for drawing dimension in legacy mode?

All new features should work on the new (opengl) mode.
If this new feature can be added to the legacy mode at no cost (or only with a very low cost) you
can add it to the legacy mode.

> To be honset I have plan to move dimension module to Altium-like.

Do you mean allow different graphic styles?

> <mailto:tomasz.wlostowski@xxxxxxx>>:
>
>     On 17.11.2016 09:51, Jacek Drewniak wrote:
>     > Hello, jp charras,
>     >
>     > How text can be moved in original code when there is no edit-point
>     > associated to text position and when change of dimension  (hight,
>     > origin, end  or rotate) always moves text to middle of arrow.
>
>     Hi Jacek,
>
>     In the legacy canvas, pressing M while hovering the mouse over a
>     dimension moves its text. I don't know if there's a way to move or
>     resize the dimension. @JP, correct me if I'm wrong.

@Tomasz, you are right.
In legacy canvas, one can move and edit the text of the dimension, but not the dimension itself

In my previous mail, I just said I do not see the interest of the lock/unlock option.
The file format already stores the position of the text, and I do not see the interest to store in
the file this option.

This remark is mainly because generally speaking we must avoid incompatibility in Kicad files with
older versions of Kicad when creating an incompatibility has only a small benefit (this is the case
here).

Having said that, I also should say the the way dimensions are coded in pcb files is stupid.

Therefore using a new and better way makes sense, but a file format cannot be modified every week
only for minor changes.

So if (when...) different styles and option are supported, it make sense to modify this format, to
support these major changes.

>     As for your patch, I like the idea of having the dimension text as a
>     separate text object.
>
>     Tom
>     >
>     > Regards
>     > Jacek
>     >
>     > 2016-11-16 20:51 GMT+01:00 jp charras <jp.charras@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jp.charras@xxxxxxxxxx>
>     > <mailto:jp.charras@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jp.charras@xxxxxxxxxx>>>:
>     >
>     >     > В Понедельник, 14 ноя. 2016 в 6:53 , Jacek Drewniak <yahuza.pl@xxxxxxxxx
>     <mailto:yahuza.pl@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:yahuza.pl@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:yahuza.pl@xxxxxxxxx>>> написал:
>     >     >> pcbnew - Dimension module has new features:
>     >     >>     - dimension arrow can now be set to 'outside'
>     >     >>     - dimension text can be unlocked and moved freely now
>     >
>     >     what is the meaning of:
>     >     "dimension text can be *unlocked* and moved freely now"
>     >     The dimension text was never locked and can be moved freely on the
>     >     legacy canvas.
>     >     Just the opengl canvas was missing the dimension text move command,
>     >     but the text is not locked (and
>     >     therefore lock/unlock option is useless).
>     >
>     >     --
>     >     Jean-Pierre CHARRAS

Regards,