complaints of rendering problems after upgrade

Hi Folks,

 There have been a small number of reports of rendering problems since around
March this year but with apparently no progress.  I thought I'd let people know
of the bug report which had been filed so that devs with more experience with
the rendering might have a look and see if they happen to instantly recognize
what's going on:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1556368

The most common complaint seems to be "I upgraded some Debian-based
distro and now the rendering in eeschema and pcbnew-legacy has problems
which make it unusable, but pcbnew-opengl works." A few people also mention
that their machine has some Intel chipset but there are too few reports to see
if the chipset actually has anything to do with the problem. There are too few
reports and too little information at the moment, but I'm hoping someone might
have seen this problem before and know what might be happening.

It is not clear if the reports have some relation to the bug which was
discussed here and which has a workaround:

https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg17048.html

Some of the reports suggest that the 2 bugs may not be quite the same
even if the results are similar since the known bug affects wxGTK3 + GTK3
while one report on the more recent bug suggest that wxGTK3 + GTK2 is
also affected.

- Cirilo

Follow ups