Re: eeschema status and features safe to work on

Hi Jon,

We really appreciate your offer. I am quite positive that most of people
here would admit that KiCad begs for some UX improvements.

GALifying eeschema is going to be a significant refactor, but it will
not happen before v5 release, which is currently planned for Feb 2017.

IIRC Wayne works on the new file format. I have in my stash some changes
to the symbol library editor (I hope to publish them soon for testing).
The on-going work does not seem to collide with your proposal, unless
there are other plans I am not aware about.

During a recent KiCad hackathon [1] Oswaldo has volunteered [2] to work
on the Selection Filter for pcbnew. I wonder if it would be possible to
write code generic enough to handle schematic & layout editors or at
least have a common base. Combined with the Object Inspector, which is
also supposed to work with eeschema at one point, it creates a really
powerful toolset.

Would you elaborate on the "intelligent autorouter" idea?

Regards,
Orson

1. http://www.ohwr.org/projects/cern-kicad/wiki/Hackathon-ehal
2. https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg26722.html