Re: Release 4.0.5 tagged.

On 12/7/2016 1:52 PM, Nick Østergaard wrote:
> Yes, but lets use the windows use case. A user has 4.0.4 intalled and
> have fp-lib-table that matches the one used there for local libs. He
> then uninstalls 4.0.4 and install 4.0.5 (this would be the same as an
> update with a package manager and possibly osx too), the fp-lib-table
> is a user preference and will now reference non existing pretty dirs.
> The user starts pcbnew or cvpcb to add parts and when kicad tries to
> access one of those libs that do not exist anymore he gets
> "unexpected" errors.
>
> All I ask about is really; what is the desired action?
>
> I am ok with just including the rename, but I remember that at some
> time we said that we should not remove libs for patch releases. This
> would require a mention in the release note, which is probably also
> acceptable.

I believe keeping the library names the same for stable series releases
was what we originally decided.  I'm OK with adding a note to the
release notes for this one time.  In the future, we should probably
create a release series branch for the libraries as we did with the
source and cherry-pick changes as required.  I know it's extra work but
this will keep users happy.  Hopefully there wont be many more 4 stable
releases so it probably doesn't make sense to do this until the 5 stable
release.