Re: [RFC] Standard field for manufacturer part number in schematic symbols

Thank you Clemens and Kevin for your responses.

Clemens, you raise that you are not happy with hard-coding fields at all
because there is no standard way to do it. But KiCad’s symbols already come
with a datasheet field for instance. To me, the datasheet field is way less
useful than an MPN field. In any case we are trying to come up with a
better, standard way to do it, what's the problem with that?

You then go on to describe your method and say you have no use case for it.
That’s fair enough but I think its clean that I and a few other people *do*
have a use case. Furthermore, the proposal, if implemented, shouldn’t
affect your way of working at all.

Kevin, you say that this would not work for generic components like
resistors and capacitors. I don’t think I was clear enough: the proposal is
to add a standard MPN field to schematic symbols to be populated *when they
are part of a schematic*, i.e. their values (and tolerances etc) have been
assigned. Really we are talking about the schematic format.

Your alternative system is interesting but* is* a bit more complicated.
Standardizing on an MPN field is something existing tooling could make use
of very quickly but with yours they would have to change their way of
working quite substantively. I think further discussion of your proposal is
a separate point and should continue in another thread.

All the best,

Kaspar