Re: [RFC] Standard field for manufacturer part number in schematic symbols

Le 21/12/2016 à 19:01, Kaspar Emanuel a écrit :
> Thanks Wayne,
>
>     I don't see how using a field versus a new file token makes any
>     difference to external tools.  The formatting of a field in a schematic
>     file is no more or less difficult to parse than any other token such as
>     a pin, wire, line, etc.
>

> The matter is simply this: if you make a tool to work with KiCad schematic files that wants to make
> use of an MPN field, you don't know what it's called because everyone is using different names.

FYI, a tool (I am thinking you are talking about a tool which manages a BOM)  which works directly
with KiCad schematic files is not a good idea.

You really underestimate the complexity of a full complex hierarchical project using parts with
multiple units per package.

The reasonable approach is to parse the netlist.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS