Re: [RFC] Standard field for manufacturer part number in schematic symbols

On 9 January 2017 at 14:29, Brian Sidebotham <brian.sidebotham@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Is there any reason you can't use Template Field Names for this:
> http://docs.kicad-pcb.org/stable/en/eeschema.html#
> options-of-the-schematic-editor
>
> This allows you to specify fields that are common to all symbols that you
> create. If the value is anything other than blank, the field is saved with
> the symbol.

Yes, at this point I was suggesting adding standard template field names.
But following further thought I have decided to try to organize the
community of external tooling creators to agree on some standard fieldnames
and a schema for them. I will post here with updates on that.

> The easiest way to specify multiples is probable to suffix with a number,
> like Manufacturer-1, PartNumber-1, Manufacturer-2, PartNumber-2, etc.

Is there actually any issue, internally to KiCAD, with creating multiple
fields with the same name? It seems to let me create two fields called MPN
and save and re-open without a problem.