Re: Via Stitching

On 01/18/2017 02:35 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> [...]
>> stitch code would be saved netcode and board is what it was when saved.
>
> This is being addressed by work currently being done on the connection
> algorithm (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this).  Changing the
> file format to fix a design flaw in the connection algorithm doesn't
> make sense other than it's an easier fix.
>

>>     I would prefer that you avoid the term stitching.  Vias could just as
>>     easily be thermal vias.  I don't think the generic term via is going to
>>     confuse anyone.  I would think most users placing vias for purposes
>>     other than trace routing understand the purpose of the vias.
>>
>> I agree that. That is better term of them. I change code so that I use
>> thermal instead stitch and user point of view these are just vias.
>
> Just use the term "via".  The designer knows the purpose of the via.
>

>>     You are still automatically assigning via netcodes based on placement.
>>     We agreed (at least I thought we did) that this assumption is dangerous
>>     and that the user should be selecting the net assignment.  I'm OK if you
>>     suggest to the user the best netcode based on the via placement position
>>     but under no circumstance should the code be selecting the via netcode.
>>
>> It seems, that code is automatically assigning netcode, but it is users
>> decide. When user selects connected layer pair and what layer is main
>> connected layer, not even have to select that last one, user selects
>> netcode in that main connected layer copper pours netcode. And you see
>> instantly what you get. if there is no pour in main selected layer in
>> that point, then you don't get any via. Simple.
>>
>> As a user I know what copper pours I want to connect together. And I
>> know what these pours netcodes are. It is faster just pressing a button,
>> than selecting every time netcode where connect. And if there is no pour
>> to connect in that netcode you selected, it is just one unconnected via
>> or it may have connected.
>>
>> I think that there is no need to make any selection box of that.
>
> This only true when there is only one possible connection between a via
> and plane or trace.  In this case, it would be acceptable to use net of
> the only connection to the via.  However, when there is more than one
> net connect, how do you decide which net to use?  You are going to end
> up with unexpected behavior if you make assumptions in this case.  You
> wouldn't necessarily need to display a list of all of the nets, only the
> nets that bisect the via.
>

>>     There is some work currently going on with to fix some of the issues
>>     with the connection algorithm that may conflict with your code.  Please
>>     make sure you check with the folks that are working on this code.  If
>>     you are working on the connection algorithm, please let Heikki know so
>>     that we can avoid any conflicts.
>>
>> OK, wait that.
>
> Would whoever is working on that let Heikki know the current status.
> Perhaps some collaboration would be helpful to move this along.

Heikki,

We all want to have via stitching, and it is planned for v5. One
important thing is we need to rework the connectivity algorithm. While
doing so, we want to take the opportunity to add the code necessary to
handle stitching vias. Tom is working on this, I am going to join soon,
and we expect to finish it in a month or so.

As Wayne has already mentioned, we would rather avoid making stitching
vias a special type (m_stitch, m_zones fields, "stitch" tag in the file
format).

Once the connectivity algorithm is in place, the via placement tool is
trivial: simply add a via at a specific place and let the connectivity
algorithm handle the details. No need to involve the PNS router here.

I think the code for displaying the via net names would be a good addition.

Regards,
Orson