Re: Autosave BS

To throw it out there.

To me a proper UI should not immediately popup but rather an very big
banner of some sort saving "FILES AVAILABLE TO BE RECOVERED" above the
workspace. Clicking on the banner opens the recovery window. It
doesn't have to be an banner, just something obvious and distinct.

Why? Users may open kicad and quickly hit keys by memory or by
accident that could trigger accidental actions on the UI. You want
actions to be fully intentional. MS Office does this by opening a
toolbar to the left of the document offering recovery. It doesn't
steal focus and you must intentionally take action.

The alternative is a popup dialog but no focus is stolen from the main
window when it opens
and it has no default action selected for the enter key. In fact,
navigation keys may want to be disabled.

In comparison, OrCad Capture (schematics) on the other hand likes to
just prompt a "Files can be recovered" OK? message box and more often
than not I end up accidentally hitting the enter key when opening a
project at work. Usually causing overwrites I didnt need to.