Re: [RFC] Application naming

Hi Clemens,

This topic has been discussed many times, it is always controversial.

A part to buy, i.e. named "LTC6362CMS8" comes already with all the information to be placed in the suitcase - it has exactly one type of footprint (here MSOP-8, JEDEC MO-187-AA). I don't see any reason to assign different footprints to parts, because they usually have only one.

I wish I could always work the way you say. But I can't.

These days, I'm designing a circuit with diodes, caps and inductors. I make the schematic and I will make the final layout.

In the meantime, other people will work with my schematic testing different diodes, inductors and caps, smd and through hole.

Until the final test is approved we will not go to pcbnew. Then I'll assign the footprints and part numbers.

Other times we use DIP for test and SOIC for production.

Kicad allows different ways of working. Fantastic!

Regards,
Pedro.