Re: [RFC] Application naming

As a mostly user and occasional code hacker, here are my thoughts:

The EDA tool industry is trending towards more integration, as many of the
commercial products were originally formed from separate applications
(often from separate companies originally).  I have used a number of
commercial products and they are all this way. Having separate applications
with separate lineage makes for less-than-optimal usability and workflow,
and so all the vendors are trying to move towards integration -- either by
putting everything in a single binary, or more often, keeping multiple
binaries, but branding them together, making sure the UIs look consistent,
and having lots of integration between them so it doesn't feel like a
struggle to go between the different binaries for different parts of the
EDA workflow.

So, I'm in favor of rebranding the KiCad applications, because I think it's
in line with the work you all are doing to improve the user workflow and
improve the integration between the schematic, layout, and library
workflows.  I also think it would be good to include the name change in a
"marketing message" to the user community about a focus on the whole EDA
workflow, not separate applications in silos.  Even if you technically can
run the schematic editor separate from the PCB layout tool, if you have the
*mindset* that they are all pieces of the same puzzle and need to fit
together, it can influence the philosophy of the project.

But, as JP mentioned, this would be a big deal in terms of documentation
and resources on the web.  I would suggest that the problems can be
overcome, but only if the communications and timing of the change is
handled well.

-Jon