Re: [RFC] Application naming

On 2/3/2017 7:14 AM, jp charras wrote:
> Le 02/02/2017 à 20:20, Pedro Martin a écrit :
>> There is still the secret of the meaning of the Ki of Kicad.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Pedro.
>>

> Well, Ki has no meaning.
> But Ki has a story.
>
> A long time ago I was looking for a name, a good name.
> A good name is a short name, easy to pronounce by anybody, and in this case contains CAD.
>
> Unfortunately, many suitable names (freecad, ecad, eecad, librecad ...) were already in use.
>
> One day, I asked to a friend of mine an idea for this name.
>
> He said: KiCAD.
>
> Great, but was is the meaning of Ki?
> My friend's answer: No meaning, but just the first letters of the name of my company.
>
> OK. this name was good for me.
>
> I am guessing I could use the first letters of my son's name or the first letters of the town I was
> living.
>
> But Kicad was good enough for me.

We should probably put this on the KiCad website in the about section.
I'm sure there are users who would like to know how the name KiCad came
to be and now we know the rest of the story.

Thanks JP for the history lesson.  I've been with the project 10 years
and I'm still learning about KiCad's history.

Cheers,