Re: for comment: legacy canvas in V5 release

On Wednesday 08 February 2017 13:32:14 Chris Pavlina wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 01:28:16PM +0100, Martin Schreiber wrote:
> > On Wednesday 08 February 2017 13:18:39 Chris Pavlina wrote:
> > > As a Linux user for many years now, that has not been my experience.
> >
> > You are a happy guy!
> > I am the author of MSEide+MSEgui where users expect that it perfectly
> > runs on every Windows, Linux and OpenBSD version on any hardware with
> > every possible window manager in the universe, I know what I am talking
> > about. :-)
>
> I don't think you do, because you're using your experience developing an
> IDE to claim that CAD software shouldn't need OpenGL. That is a very
> basic requirement for anything of a graphical nature.

Not for 2D. OpenGL is not well suited for 2D graphical applications. I made an
OpenGL backend for MSEgui and have some experience.

But you probably misunderstood. I only wanted to say that in the tests I did
with KiCad on different Linux boxes I had to select the legacy canvas to be
able to work with acceptable performance for zooming and redrawing. I switch
to OpenGL when I need the advanced functionality and back to legacy when the
snappier performance is more important. The 23 years old Orcad on the K6
Windows95 box is even snappier BTW.
I thought that I should report the experience of a first time KiCad Linux user
because comments were requested. I am sorry if I offended you.

Martin