Re: for comment: legacy canvas in V5 release

The EEVblog forum hates everything.

On Feb 8, 2017 18:32, "Andy Peters" <devel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2017, at 3:13 PM, Mário Luzeiro <mrluzeiro@xxxxx> wrote:
>
> As a technical reference,
> KiCad webpage [1] it sugests as requirements a GPU with OpenGL 2.1 (btw,
in one line it suggests 2.1 on other two lines it suggests 2.0 ? )
> From wikipedia [2] this standard was release in July 2006, so on the
expected next release, it will be 11 yrs old.

> I understand the use of KiCad of (very) old systems (eg: on tests lab or
assembly site) but I think from my "computer technology perspective" view
11 yrs is old enough.

> So as I said before, my solution for this issue on a Linux machine with
11 yrs old is to buy a second hand ($15.. $30) NVidia ( GeForce 7 ..
GeForce 8..) GPU card and install the proprietary NVidia drivers (on a
recent light linux distro)

There was someone on the EEVblog forums complaining that “The graphic
driver in my computer has OpenGL 2.0, but KiCAD needs 2.1!!! Why???”

I suppose that no matter where you draw the line, someone will bitch and
moan.

-a