Re: RFC: Change UX for item selection clarification

Hi John,

I am mainly looking at eeschema right now, so I haven't studied the GAL
code closely yet.  pcbnew's behavior in GAL canvas is certainly better than
legacy and eeschema, but still does some odd things that I want to look
at.  I will have to get familiar with GAL in order to see how my change to
eeschema's behavior would apply once it's ported to using GAL.

The change I've made in my branch doesn't change the behavior you mention
-- if you have nothing selected, hitting a hotkey still searches under the
cursor for something and selects it for the action.  Right now, in my "new
selection mode", it will not prompt you to clarify your selection if you
hit a hotkey while hovering over multiple items -- it will do the action on
the top item.  I need to play with it more to see if this is the best
behavior or whether it makes sense to bring back the popup menu for this
case.  It might make sense to have a popup menu here, because (1) it
doesn't matter that the popup menu breaks double-clicking because you're
using a keyboard hotkey, and (2) ideally you would only hit this scenario
rarely once we have good selection filtering commands, because generally
you will already be in the proper filter mode to (for example) only select
components for moving, etc.

Best,
Jon