cross-platform filename fun

Hi folks,

 A number of STEP related bugs have been reported and at this point in
time I suspect the problems have something to do with character
translations.

Bug 1:  On Windows, STEP files with non-ASCII characters in the path
are not correctly processed by the 3D plugin.  In this case all code is
running within one process and I believe I have a fix.

Bug 2: On Windows files with the extension "STEP" don't seem to load.
I'm not sure what's going on here yet; I need to read up on a few
wx widgets.

Bug 3: Well, no one has reported such a bug yet, but the underlying
problem with Bug 1 should also affect the external kicad2step tool,
but only on Windows.

Has anyone observed such bugs and have anything to add?

- Cirilo

Follow ups