update on filename fun under Windows

Hi folks,

 I was looking into non-ASCII characters in file paths under Windows
in hopes of at least fixing latent bugs in non-MCAD 3D plugins and
IDF/VRML exports. Unfortunately the problem has proved much more
difficult than I originally imagined.

 In MSVC, objects like std::fstream have an overloaded open() function
which takes wchar_t and does the right thing. Since that overload is
not part of the STL specification, it is not available in MSys2.

 It looks to me that the best path at the moment is to use some form
of wxStream in place of std::ifstream/std::ofstream; however I would
need to make some small test programs to verify that wxStream
does the right thing; I suspect it does since richio does not demonstrate
a non-ascii path problem.

Features currently affected by non-ascii path problems include:
1. STEP export (won't be fixed until appropriate newer versions of
  OpenCascade or OCE are installed)
2. IDF and OCE 3D plugins (VRML plugins use richio and are not
  affected)
3. IDF export
4. All IDF command-line tools
5. VRML export

Any comments/suggestions? Should I add this job to my list of things
to do or do we just wait and hope this is all magically fixed within
MSys2/Windows API?

- Cirilo

Follow ups