Re: Stable release 4.0.6

> Does the ubuntu package even have the correct docs, translations, and
> libraries?  AFAIK, some of this has not been committed and tagged yet.
> In the future, please hold off making stable packages available until we
> have packages for the three major platforms.  I'm ok if some of the more
> obscure linux distros don't have packages but we should at least have
> windows, osx, and linux (dpkg and rpm) packages ready to go rather than
> release them as they are completed.  All this will do is frustrate users
> of other platforms because there is no 4.0.6 package available and make
> them feel like second class citizens.

Earlier we agreed that we will make the release announcement on the
website when there are binaries available for windows, osx and ubuntu
via the PPA. This are platforms where we control the builds.

If a release is made for a platform before the announcement, I guess
we can just call that a bonus.. but we should not broadcast that the
release is done yet.

I am ok with the PPA packaging a partial release since it packages
them in seperate installable packages. We are doing development in the
open for everyone to see, so this is natural that some peple might
spot an upcomming release before it is made even if the person is not
watching the mailing lists.

> Cheers,
>
> Wayne
>
> On 2/23/2017 8:22 AM, Chris Pavlina wrote:
>> In the future we should probably look into making our releases a bit
>> more coordinated.
>>
>> https://forum.kicad.info/t/4-0-6-for-ubuntu-is-out/5441
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 09:26:21AM -0500, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>>> Are there any outstanding issues to prevent rolling out a 4.0.6 stable
>>> release?  If not, I will set the version string and tag that commit as
>>> 4.0.6.  How much time do our source translators, doc devs, and library
>>> devs need to have everything ready?

I think everything should be ready for next weekend, but feel free to
push the release announcement as a draft to the website repo.