Re: Torrents for KiCad distribution

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 11:50:59AM -0500, Mark Roszko wrote:

> > I have no issue with that but there is no way for KiCad to control
> > what is uploaded to a torrent so I really don't want the project to be
> > responsible for it
>
> The torrent could be autogenerated by the download server when the
> files are transferred over, the download server would act as the
> initial seed server. The torrent once created could be shared on the
> website and then thats it. The contents of the torrent cannot change
> without it being a completely different hash and thus invalid for the
> torrent.

Agree.
Actually using torrent is _more_ secure than downloading via ftp or http.

Said with different words, having "official" torrents is just like having a
download with md5 integrated that assure the validity of what you download.
I usually use official torrents download for:

* Libreoffice
* GIMP
* Ubuntu Linux

> >Does our website not have enough bandwidth for downloading KiCad packages?
>
> Actually simultaneous downloads from multiple users do seem to slow it
> down quite a tad bit. It's not like the files are hosted on a CDN like
> other projects may have or even github.
>
> The theory with torrents is the download server would consume the
> same bandwidth during initial seed but then others could then "donate"
> their bandwidth afterwards to continue sharing (the initial seed is
> still there too).

Torrents is like having a auto download balancer that uses the bandwidth
of other clients instead of saturating the servers download bandwidth.

> Not advocating for this but just throwing my two cents in

Well, if you ask me, in my humble opinion (not having set any any torrent
seed in my life) setting up torrent seeds for main kicad downloads could
be a worthwhile job.

--

Marco Ciampa

 GNU/Linux User #78271