Re: [RFC] 3D models repository

On 2/24/2017 3:45 AM, Oliver Walters wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Recently I raised this issue:
>
> https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg27922.html
>
> There were some good responses, thanks for the input.
>
> First task is going to be moving the 3D models, as this will be
> significantly easier.
>
> e.g. something like GitHub.com/KiCad/packages3D
>
> To this end, I'd like some further information from those in the know:
>
> A) is there any impediment to having the KISYS3DMOD envvar point to
> somewhere different? e.g. ./KiCad/share/packages3D/

I believe you mean share/kicad/modules/packages3d.  Why would change the
install path?  Irregardless of what repo the 3D models are in, they
should always get installed in this location.  Where else would be
appropriate to install them?  Changing this path would most likely break
everyone's 3D viewing experience.

> B) To the package managers, how much effort to package 3D models from a
> separate repo?

I'll leave this to our package devs.

> C) to the docs maintainers, would there be much to change if we
> redirected the 3D repo?
> D) Generally, what other considerations would be required?
>
> Essentially, if I made this change right now without telling anyone,
> what would I break?

I'm sure all of the package builders.  You would need to coordinate this
change with the package devs.