File format documentation (was Re: Stable release 4.0.6)

On 2017-02-24 05:39 PM, Chris Pavlina wrote:
Yeah - my general impression from a number of inconsistencies in the
file format vs. the spec is that KiCad's file format really should be
considered implementation-defined.

In order to have a _proper_ file format spec, it seems to be that two
things need to be done:

1. Put the format spec _in the repository_
2. Version it, and require anybody changing the format in the code to:
    a. Update the YYYYMMDD version that gets written to the file
       (technically we already require this, but I've seen a couple
       changes go in without doing this...)
    b. Make a new format spec version and document the change

Until we do that, it's implementation-defined with a wannabe spec :P

I have two file format docs. A 33 page PDF and a recently downloaded 40 page PDF. Neither doc shows a date or version. The English doc also includes a minor bit of French in it. In some places it is missing information about required parameters. I've never needed to read past the first 12 pages. There may be more issues in the latter half of the documentation.

Even in the shape it is in it is a useful document. I have been able to write the conversion scripts I needed with only occasional dives in to the source code.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.