Re: libcurl dependency

On 2/23/2017 7:52 PM, Cirilo Bernardo wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
>  While attempting to build on Windows with -DBUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=OFF
> the build failed due to common/CMakeLists.txt (lines 18-20):
>
> if( NOT APPLE )     # windows and linux use openssl under curl
>     find_package( OpenSSL REQUIRED )
> endif()
>
> Since I know nothing of the github plugin code and the usage of curl
> within kicad, I thought I'd ask if that block should be qualified by the
> BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN option or of there's some mysterious
> reason why it must be there even when the GITHUB plugin is not
> built.
>
> - Cirilo

AFAIK, it's only required by the github plugin unless someone else added
code that uses OpenSSL elsewhere.  Maybe we should be using
curl-config[1] to determine if the installed version of curl was built
with SSL.  Although this wasn't released until curl 7.7.2, I looked up
the tags in the curl repo on github and the oldest tag I could find was
7.10.8 which was tagged 14 years ago so I'm going to guess we are pretty
safe using it.  Of course you can always use cmake to check for the
existence of curl-config and take any alternate actions.  This really
should be in the FindCURL.cmake file.

I'm not sure it's even necessary since curl's dependencies would have to
be satisfied in order to build so I'm not sure it makes sense for the
KiCad build config to test for and dependency library sub-dependencies.

[1]: https://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/using/curl-config.html