Standalone mode.

Hi,

There are a few problems with "standalone mode" that I see. One of the
biggest is demonstrated [1] - kiway services aren't available. In my
opinion this really is detrimental to the function of the software -
e.g. eeschema shouldn't be missing features just because it was started
in standalone.

Another problem is the awkwardness of packaging/install on systems that
expect applications to be discrete units, like macOS. There's some
foreshadowing on the bug tracker of trouble wrt. signed packages, which
I couldn't immediately dig up.

I'd really like if we could change this. I don't think standalone mode
the way we implement it is necessary. It is necessary that one can open
a pure schematic file, or a pure PCB file, outside of the context of a
project -- but I do NOT think this should require starting the
individual application separately from the project manager.

What if the project manager simply understood the concept of single
files as well as projects?

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1668157

--
Chris