Re: Indication of modifier buttons to tools and dialogs

Hi Kristoffer, John,

I agree this is an important problem to solve.

I am not convinced that this is the perfect solution, but I wanted to share
a way a commercial tool does it.
Here's a screenshot from Mentor Graphics Xpedition showing what I mean:
http://i.imgur.com/H0wDK0F.png

At the bottom of the screen is a list of keyboard shortcuts, that change
based on what you are doing.  So, when you are in "place components" mode
the list is different than if you are routing a track, for example.  The
developers chose the most common things to do for each "tool" that can be
active, and assigned them to function-keys.

Note that in Xpedition, the hotkeys themselves change, i.e. the icons on
the bottom of the screen always correspond to the function keys F1-F12.
But, even without adopting that scheme (which would conflict with some of
our existing hotkeys), we could use the UI concept of a larger "quick
reference" to hotkeys (I'm including mouse actions in the definition of
hotkeys here) at the bottom of the screen, for example a quick mockup:
http://i.imgur.com/wB0Yecy.png

Then we would just need to define up to N hotkeys for each tool / tool mode
that should be hinted to the user. (Where N is some number that looks not
too cramped)

-Jon