FP_LIB_TABLE::FootprintLoad assert on windows; encoding issue

Hi,

When running a debug build on Windows, I get an assertion failure here:

common/fp_lib_table.cpp:250
FP_LIB_TABLE::FootprintLoad
        wxASSERT( aFootprintName == (wxString) fpid.GetLibItemName() );

This is clearly related to the character encoding of the footprint name.
The footprint in question is "Würth_36103205_20x20mm"; according to gdb
the correct name is in fpid.GetLibItemName(), but the version in
aFootprintName contains garbage in place of the "ü".

Can we just remove this assert and use the correct name read out of the
footprint file? Or is there something here that actually needs to be
fixed? Will KiCad catch fire if the filename doesn't match the footprint
name?

--
Chris

Follow ups