Re: Fixing libcommon

On 03/20/2017 02:36 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> On 3/18/2017 10:18 AM, Maciej Suminski wrote:
>> In order to remove the hardcoded values from WORKSHEET_VIEWITEM, I
>> started moving code that used to be compiled multiple times to separate
>> units. This is also a basic way to solve the internal units conversion
>> problem.
>>
>> There are still a few more files that are compiled multiple times. I
>> plan to fix them as well, but first I want to send the first patches to
>> see if we all agree on the proposed solution.
>>
>> Alternatively, there could be an abstract class to provide conversion
>> methods. If it is preferred, then we need to decide how to access its
>> instance (singleton, attach to KiFace, static object?)
>
> This would be my preference.  The solution in your patch set has a lot
> of duplicate code with different per application scalars.  I would think
> that an abstract class would be a more elegant design.  I OK with
> pushing your current patches and refactoring the scalar code into an
> abstract class at a later date.  I don't have a strong preference for
> singleton versus static.

Then we could have a look at old Tom's branch [1]. It provides UNITS
class with derived classes to handle all KiCad applications. Just by
looking at the code, it seems to completely eliminate #ifdefs in libcommon.

If you are ok with his changes, I can rebase them and test if they work
as expected.

Regards,
Orson

1. https://github.com/twlostow/kicad-dev/tree/libcommon-deifdefied