Development workflow

Hi!

I'm just starting with KiCad development. I got it to compile on both MSys2 and
Ubuntu, and did my first patches for practice.

A full compile takes about 35 minutes on my machine. ccache can get this down to
~15 minutes, but doesn't help much if I touch a common header file.

Also, I seem to have to do "make install", to actually try out KiCad. This will
always build all applications, even if I only want to try out changes to Pcbnew.

So - how do you work?

- Is 30 minutes the expected turnaround time for trying out changs?

- Is there a trick to only build, say, Pcbnew, and start it from the build
directory without doing make install?

- make install is also a problem if I want to keep multiple binary version of
kicad side-by-side. It would be much nicer to just be able to start it from a
build directory. But the kicad-launcher isn't able to start the other
applications then.

- Is there some documentation of how to set up Eclipse for rapid kicad
development and debugging? I could figure it all out myself, but surely someone
has done it before..

best regards,
thomas

Follow ups