Re: [REQUEST] Remove Wings from Windows Installer

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Oliver Walters
<oliver.henry.walters@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I note that the Windows installer still finishes with the "You should
> install Wings3D" message. Is anyone really still using this?
>
> Perhaps the time has come to remove this message...

Personally I would like to discourage people from using Wings3D; however VRML
is still supported and all the documentation refers to the Wings3D
modeler. I would
be happier to change the message from "You should install" to
something else; after
all Wings3D is not required for KiCad to work.

If someone updates the documentation on 3D models then we can suggest
FreeCAD for designers with 3d solid model requirements, Maurice's FreeCAD/StepUp
tools for those who also want pretty VRML files, and Wings3D for those who only
want pretty VRML files (but for some reason don't want to use StepUp).
It would be
good if we also had some documentation demonstrating how to create models in
FreeCAD otherwise most new users will simply be overwhelmed and have
little hope of
doing what they want. Without such documentation I would be more
inclined to mention
StepUp (which Maurice has documented and supports) but not FreeCAD on its own.

- Cirilo