Re: [REQUEST] Remove Wings from Windows Installer

On 2017-05-08 11:26 PM, Cirilo Bernardo wrote:
You can get better material appearances using Wings3D but it really is a
nuisance to get right. For those who script their own models in FreeCAD
it's much better to use StepUp and assign material appearances for VRML.

I've noticed that you can get better material appearance in the 3D viewer of pcbnew if you use WRML models vs STEP models.

I created a model in Rhino 3D and saved the model in STEP format. I imported the STEP file in to FreeCAD and textured the model. I exported the textured model from FreeCAD in both STEP and WRML formats. When I use the textured models in pcbnew I find the WRML models look better than STEP. The STEP models look a bit flat. The WRML version of the same model with the same texturing looks a little more realistic vs the STEP based model.

I don't know why there should be a difference in how the 3D viewer of pcbnew renders the two versions of the same model.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.