Re: [RFC] 3D models repository

Hi, as a reminder, here are the texts we proposed:

For schematics symbols and for complete symbol libraries:

"This work is licensed under the Creative Commons CC-BY-SA 4.0 License.
To the extent that circuit schematics that use Licensed Material can be
considered to be ‘Adapted Material’, then the copyright holder waives
article 3.b of the license with respect to these schematics."

For footprints and libraries of footprints:

"This work is licensed under the Creative Commons CC-BY-SA 4.0 License.
To the extent that circuit layout that uses Licensed Material can be
considered to be ‘Adapted Material’, then the copyright holder waives
article 3.b of the license with respect to this layout."

Now I notice that this thread initially dealt with 3D models, which
are neither symbols not footprints. If you see in the proposed texts
above, for dealing with the case of 3D models, we should find an
expression which denotes the complete 3D representation of a circuit,
which uses the licensed 3D models. Any thoughts about what that
expression should be? For example, if the term we use is "3D circuit
model" then the text for licensing the 3D models of components would
be:

"This work is licensed under the Creative Commons CC-BY-SA 4.0 License.
To the extent that a 3D circuit model that uses Licensed Material can be
considered to be ‘Adapted Material’, then the copyright holder waives
article 3.b of the license with respect to this 3D circuit model."

Regarding where to put these notices, there is first a choice that
needs to be made: per component or per repo? I think per component
makes more sense because a component can have a life of its own
outside the original repo, and ideally the license information would
travel with the component wherever it goes. For symbols, the text
could be in a property. For fooprints, it could be a comment in the
"pretty file". For 3D models, I don't know. One could also include a
license file per repo, to make it simpler for users to see it.

I hope this helps. As you see, there are some strategic decisions to
be taken at the project level. Back to you Wayne ;)

Cheers,

Javier