Re: [RFC] 3D models repository

Hi,

On 29.06.2017 12:18, Javier Serrano wrote:

> I agree the creative side is stronger for symbols than for footprints.
> Copyrightability is, as you well point out, a subject of debate in
> various areas. However, I think the real debate we should have is
> whether we want to make the official libraries permissive or weak
> copyleft.

I'd be completely fine with PD/CC0 for symbols and footprints, because
they need to be available to users without having to check license
compatibility first.

If people are using 3D models for more than nice renderings (e.g. to
determine the cutout from the case), then a permissive license would be
required here as well in order to avoid complications for the
manufacturing files.

> I am not sure I understand the argument. There are clearly more risks of
> proprietarization whenever you use a permissive license, because you are
> explicitly giving permission to improve and not share back.

Designing a license that would require people to share library
improvements but not their PCB designs would be difficult.

   Simon