Re: Stable release 4.0.7 status.

On 8/17/2017 8:45 AM, Rene Pöschl wrote:
> On 16/08/17 01:35, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> AFAIK we intend to use the 4.0.6 tag for libraries, docs, and i18n.  The
>> libraries in particular have changed significantly and I think it's a
>> bad idea to break users schematics on a point release.
>
> Does the default setup of kicad use the github plugin to get up do date
> footprints?

Github is the default for the stable 4 release.

> If so this will create inconsistencies within the lib. (If the symbol
> and 3d model libs are not updated as well)

The 3D models may break but not the footprint.  Footprints are embedded
in the board file so changes in the footprint libraries do not effect
the board.

> In particular there might be a problem if either a footprint has been
> renamed.
> (Footprint field or footprint filters of a symbol is now wrong.)
>
> Or if the scaling, offset or rotation of 3d models changed within a
> footprints 3d model settings.
> (We got a lot of new correctly scaled models since the 4.0.6 release)
>
> In my opinion it would be best if users can control when they receive
> new libraries.
> Each update should make sure that all 3 types of libraries are updated
> at the same time. (to the same version)

I'm not opposed to this.  I'm not sure what we did for the previous
stable 4 releases.  If we just tagged the libraries at the time, then we
should continue doing that for the sake of consistency.