Re: Stable release 4.0.7 status.

Sorry about the delay but I was dealing with a family emergency all last
week.  Now that I'm getting caught up I really need to get stable
version 4.0.7 released.  Are there any outstanding issue remaining
before I make the release announcement?  I'm shooting for Friday or
Saturday.

On 8/17/2017 8:45 AM, Rene Pöschl wrote:
> On 16/08/17 01:35, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> AFAIK we intend to use the 4.0.6 tag for libraries, docs, and i18n.  The
>> libraries in particular have changed significantly and I think it's a
>> bad idea to break users schematics on a point release.
>
> Does the default setup of kicad use the github plugin to get up do date
> footprints?

Github.

> If so this will create inconsistencies within the lib. (If the symbol
> and 3d model libs are not updated as well)

I hadn't thought about that but you are correct.  Maybe it makes sense
to tag the library repo where it stands right now.  That being said, as
the footprints and library repo change, they may (will) eventually get
out of sync so this isn't an ideal solution.

> In particular there might be a problem if either a footprint has been
> renamed.
> (Footprint field or footprint filters of a symbol is now wrong.)
>
> Or if the scaling, offset or rotation of 3d models changed within a
> footprints 3d model settings.
> (We got a lot of new correctly scaled models since the 4.0.6 release)
>
> In my opinion it would be best if users can control when they receive
> new libraries.
> Each update should make sure that all 3 types of libraries are updated
> at the same time. (to the same version)

Unfortunately, we are not set up to handle this at the moment and I
would not ask our package devs to fix this for the 4.0.7 release.  It is
certainly something worth considering for the 5 stable release.