Re: Additional Patch for via properties dialog (2)

I have created KiPadCheck as a post-layout DRC addition to KiCad. It has some checks related to pads, vias, drill, silkscreen, paste, and mask that address some shortcomings in KiCad DRC. I have also researched Eagle's DRC and they allow a fairly wide range of specifications for layers, vias and pads.
For example, the layers definition page, https://i.stack.imgur.com/X0zvH.png,has the ability to specify thicknesses for prepreg and core as well as fairly detailed informationon via placement between specified layers. It might be useful as an example of what can be done.
The clearance screen (figure 1.1 at http://sensi.org/~svo/gerberhowto/index.en.html)and the REST-RING (the second graphic here: https://forum.kicad.info/t/drc-drill-to-track-clearance/7311/9) tab show the various available DRC rules the Eagle uses.
I'm trying to get KiPadCheck and design rule save/load to work with DRU files. I'll lbe able to getback to that when LayerViewSet is closer to complete.
Does any of this help the conversation here about via properties?

    On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 2:36 PM, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 On 8/22/2017 8:05 AM, Bastian Neumannn wrote:
> Hi
>
>> Ultimately is it useful to design a board, if you cannot make it?
>
> Right now I can fabricate boards, I can not design. That is also not a
> good solution.
>
> via constraints are tricky bussiness as they are very specific to the
> manufacturer.

I'm not opposed to this change.  However, there are two schools of
thought when it comes to board layout: strict layout constraints and no
layout constraints.  I tend to lean towards the latter but I've been
doing this for 30 years so I am painfully aware of the pitfalls of no
layout constraints and have a pretty good idea of what not to do.
Should we choose to loosen the layout constraints for blind/buried vias,
then we should be prepared for a serious tongue lashing the first time
someone violates their board vendor's manufacturing limitations and ends
up with a bunch of useless and likely expensive boards.  Maybe at some
point in the future we will have a complete constraint system that can
cover all possibilities but until then we have to walk that fine line
between power users and beginners.