Re: latest GerbView doesn't display test file

I agree with your point that gerber viewers act as an important check.
Toward that end displaying a warning message should alert the user that
they have a problematic Gerber file that shouldn't go to a manufacturer.

Fixing sounds dangerous to me as it modifies a file that explicitly doesn't
follow a standard.  The resulting 'fixed' file will be standards-compliant
but could very easily be not what the user intended.

Viewing non-standard Gerber files would be personally useful to me as I
often receive gerber files from other engineers at different institutions
working on a wide range of EDA tools.  Some of them generate non-standard
gerbers and their users have no interest in switching their workflows.  At
the moment, I keep 4 different viewers installed, two on a virtual machine
to ensure that I can look at the files.  I would really like to expand the
viewing of non-standard files in Kicad.  I'm happy to submit this patch if
we're open to the idea.

-S