Re: Datasheet confusion

On 10/12/2017 1:52 PM, Kristoffer Ödmark wrote:

> On 10/12/2017 06:56 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> Kristoffer,
>>
>> There is no confusion and there is nothing to fix.  The document field
>> is just like any other field.  It is initially imported from the library
>> symbol to the schematic symbol (they are *not* the same nor should they
>> be) when a symbol is added to the schematic.  Once you modify a field in
>> a schematic symbol it takes precedence over the the field in the library
>> symbol that was linked when the symbol was added to the schematic.  It
>
> But it doesnt? If i set the variable Datasheet, which is mandatory, I do
> not get a context menu option to "Open documentation". I am not
> complaining about the document field, I am complaining that It is stored
> in two different ways, once in the dcm file and once in the library.

I'm not sure why there is not an "Edit Datasheet" entry in the
"Properties" submenu of the symbol context menu.  I guess no one ever
noticed it before.  It probably would not be that difficult to add.  The
dcm file is for storing the description, key word, and datasheet URL
information for all library symbols.  The library symbol fields are
stored in the lib file and are only stored for the root symbol.  What
should happen is the alias document file text should be copied to the
schematic symbol DATASHEET field when it is added to the schematic.  If
it isn't, this is a bug.

> Or are you saying that there is a difference between documentation and
> datasheet?

Yes.  There is a mandatory (must exist but can be empty) DATASHEET field
for both the root library symbol and it's associated schematic symbol.
If you add a library symbol by it's alias, then the root DATASHEET field
would be incorrect so the "Document" (this is inconsistent but it's
legacy baggage which will be addressed by the new file formats) entry in
the dcm file would contain the appropriate datasheet link.