PCBNew / Footprint editor - "Special strings"

Disclaimer: I come from the world of Altium, and might have a biased workflow.

Is the following possible in any way in KiCad, or is there a different
workflow that
supports what I want?

Usually, when I make components, I have a mechanical layer called
"Assembly" where I either duplicate the silkscreen, or make a new
symbol (not all components have silkscreen). In addition,
I add a text label which contains the value  .Designator .  This ends
up being translated to the
component reference designator in the end.  This way, I have a layer
containing nothing but assembly information.  This is *very* useful on
designs where space is so limited that it's
impossible to have the ref des in the silkscreen, for instance.

- Does KiCad support "special strings" like Altium's .Designator ?

--
Thomas

Follow ups