Re: Recent eeschema changes

On 23/11/17 07:03, Julius Schmidt wrote:
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017, Andy Peters wrote:

This “touching” of projects occurs with more applications than I can count. For example: every time I want to view a completed Altium project and I change layer visibility, Altium marks the layout as modified. It asks me if I want to save the file before closing the application. The solution I’ve found is: let the tool do whatever it wants to do, then simply don’t save the files after you’re doing viewing them. At the very least, make a copy of the project before viewing. My projects are in a Subversion repository, so it’s a simple matter of checking out a new working copy, and then deleting the working copy when I’m done.

The difference is that, presumably, Altium does not modify the files on disk if you do not save.

This is really my core complaint, I don't expect kicad to be able to
modify old projects and save back into the old format.

I do expect it to be able to open them without damaging the files.

I strongly agree with julius here.

Not everyone wants to (or has admin ability to) migrate their workflow to the newest version of any software. Those of us that collaborate with these people maintain multiple versions of software X to handle this. Opening the wrong project with the wrong software version is a common accident in these situations.

Long story short, an intentional migration of files from one version to another is fine but changing files to a different format/version on load in the background is not cool.