Re: Migrating old designs best practice

On 24 Nov 2017 10:52 pm, "Rene Pöschl" <poeschlr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 24/11/17 04:47, hauptmech wrote:

> I can confirm unconnected wires. It may be worth noting that I did not
> preserve the -cache.lib file when I archived the design.
>
> I also had an issue with an old asymmetric diode footprint having its
> anode and cathode reversed when I used it in a new design. If pin
> numbers in the library got swapped around, then now I know why.
>
> For myself, I would much rather that the old library parts get loaded
> with my old design instead of trying to convert old parts to new parts.
> Is it unreasonable to do that? Load the design with the old parts and
> then do the rescue/migration rename? That way the old parts go into the
> -rescue.lib file unchanged except for a name modification. Including the
> old parts lib (perhaps concatenated into one file) does not seem too
> difficult.

If the symbols are still unchanged in the library then you would not need
the cache lib. (The migration would simply point to the full name of the
symbol including the library name. Unless i understand the process wrong.)

The cache lib is necessary if the symbol in the library does change or is
deleted. If you also delete the cache lib, from where should KiCad get the
information how your old symbol(s) looked like? (The symbol data is not
stored inside the schematic files. It is only stored in the cache lib.)

These are not my symbols, they are kicad library symbols, for which i would
hope for either stability or a migration path.