Re: terms clarification

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your clear reply.

I also worked for more than 40 years in the professional side of electronics,
so I will say that I can be biased by that fact.
I see that you’re using “symbol” and I agree wit that. The schematic use symbols.

In my work life (mostly in two different countries, first France, and then USA), we
used both symbol, component and part.
The symbol was a term used ONLY with the schematic and referred to an electrical function,
the component was the implementation of a symbol with a given technology and package,
and the part was the product you could buy from a list of approved suppliers for that component.

I was working for many years in a group controlling the corporate library, and all three terms
were used but not interchangeably.

As you said, approved vendor/supplier list, and approved part list was a thing designers
were used to, even if sometime they didn’t like it.
But it was the key of a manufacturable and reliable design, and a key to great cost savings too.

To make KiCAD easier to use, maybe a neophyte user should focus more on the part name which
is the thing that can be purchased. But KiCAD does not carry the concept of part which is really
tied to procurement. A part library should be the link between a symbol, a package and a supplier,
but the supplier view is absent in KiCAD library (only a custom field can carry the complete
manufacturing part number), so it is not easy to provide a clear procedure.

Maybe the schematic symbol could be named with the Mfg PN, and then the package would be unique.
That would lead to a huge redundancy in the symbol library, and also in the package library,
which both would have many similar but not identical (ie many similar SO28 from many suppliers).
It is a complex issue, and I am not sure how KiCAD can address it with the current state of design.

Best regards,
Jean-Paul
N1JPL