Re: Consistency in messages

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 09:26:57PM +0100, Simon Richter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we don't seem to have a consistent convention on quoting in messages
> shown to the user, and thus we have all three of
>
>     '%s'
>     "%s"
>     <%s>
>
> in format strings when referring to names (files, nets, netclasses, …).
>
> For the untranslated strings, I'd prefer either double or single quotes,
> while translated messages should probably use the locale appropriate
> quoting format.
>
> Which should it be?
>
>    Simon

I tend to avoid single quotes in translated strings replacing them with
double quotes whenever possible (means always, when I remember to do it)
since in my language (Italian) quotes are always done with double quotes
characters as single quote characters are relegated to elision or
replacing accented chars when these are not present in the keyboard or
not easlily accessible (as for Windows and uppercase accented chars...).
Guess what? Linux has not these problems, nationalized keyboards are
always complete ...

So I vote for using always "%s" ...

Regards,

--