Re: Consistency in messages

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 08:26:57PM +0000, Simon Richter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we don't seem to have a consistent convention on quoting in messages
> shown to the user, and thus we have all three of
>
>     '%s'
>     "%s"
>     <%s>
>
> in format strings when referring to names (files, nets, netclasses, …).
>
> For the untranslated strings, I'd prefer either double or single quotes,
> while translated messages should probably use the locale appropriate
> quoting format.
>
> Which should it be?

My vote is for "%s" for the simple reason that "untranslated" strings
in KiCad are effectively in en_US, and the quotation convention in
American English is to use "" for outer quotes and '' for nested inner
quotes. I've only seen <> as a convention for quoting email addresses
(if we're using them somewhere I wonder if that derives from «»).