Re: Simulator towards 5.0

On 2017-12-04 15:22, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
Kristoffer,

You're very welcome to specify how you'd like to have the Spice-related
fields organized - but remember it's not only the integrated ngspice
simulator that relies on them. People have been exporting PSpice
netlists from Kicad for a while and AFAIR netlist export depends on
these particular fields.
Okay, My suggestions:

1. Enable the spice simulator by default and start shipping it with windows nightlies. This way we will find much more bugs. Because I doubt everyone is running with the simulator on even on nightlies. Same goes for the OCE and step stuff. This I see as a must to get a smoother v5 transition for most users, even those moving from v4 stable to v5 stable without ever trying nightlies.

2. Parse the "value" field and reference in the simulator to get the basic primitives. like Resistor and Capactiors, inductors etc, based on the first Letter in the Reference. We already have name-dependent functions for the differential-pair so having this here, and

3. Move the Spice_Netlist_Enabled field to a new right-side toggle menu to select between "Spice and PCB, Spice Only, PCB only", so one can specify if the item should be added to both the PCB and the Spice netlist, or only one of them, by default I guess both should be enabled.

4. When the Spice_Model field is selected, the button "Edit Spice Model" should be shown under there, instead of always on the left side. Just to be more like the other fields.

5. Add context-menu entries and toolbar buttons for the simulator interface.

This would make the simulator seem like its a part of kicad and not only a strange addon that is just hackishly attached to kicad with duct-tape. Dont get me wrong, Its an awesome feature, and works well it just looks like an outsider when using it currently.

As for the polishing up before the V5, there's several tasks to do:
- update the pspice.lib library (it doesn't follow the KLC) and make
sure all Spice devices are in there.
- fix quirks in the plot component (wxMathPlot).
- document and make a few example designs (I can help with this point).

Cheers,
Tom