Re: COMPONENT_TREE performance

> On 4. Dec 2017, at 18:55, Chris Pavlina <pavlina.chris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 05:53:12PM +0000, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
>> On 04/12/17 18:48, Chris Pavlina wrote:
>>> Hey, just a comment because I see people are wrestling with
>>> COMPONENT_TREE performance as I did when writing it. TEST ON MACOS. The
>>> performance of the widget there has a really different profile from on
>>> other systems. I had to do things in really unobvious ways to make it
>>> perform reasonably there.
>>>

>> I've noticed spending more and more time fixing wxWidgets bugs instead
>> of Kicad bugs. Maybe we should have a serious look at Qt or Electron
>> (Webkit/JS-based UI) as a possible future alternative for wx...
>
> YES. I try not to bring it up too much because I know the lead devs
> aren't fond of the idea of changing the GUI toolkit, but I strongly
> believe we could benefit from that. Obviously it can't really happen
> until we ditch wxDC.

From a macOS perspective I’d really love to see this.
There are many small/big usability/GUI problems that just don’t work on macOS.
The ones I tried to fix always ended up being some wx problem… and I gave up hope that they will get fixed any time soon or late (I am watching/using wx master for that reason, but didn’t see any improvements).

Regards,
Bernhard