Re: Symbol library table remapping question

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the explanation.

> On 6. Dec 2017, at 21:47, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> This all depends on the symbol library list and symbol library path
> configuration of the project being remapped.  Here is how the remapping
> works:
>
> Attempt to find the symbol in a library from the project library list.
> This is the list of symbol libraries stored in the project file found
> using the project and default lookup paths.
>
> If the symbol is found in any library but the cache, reconstruct the
> full path to the symbol library.
>
> Search the global footprint library table for an entry matching the full
> path.

OK, I might have found the problem.

In the *.pro file there was:
<<<
LibDir=/Users/bstegmaier/10 - Projekte/KiCad/Library
[eeschema/libraries]
LibName1=AtmelCorporation
LibName2=Connectors
LibName3=Devices
LibName4=Displays
LibName5=Power

I have 3 different machines, but with slightly different folder setup.
To keep things simple, I used symlinks to make the library folder look the same.
The path
  /Users/bstegmaier/10 - Projekte/KiCad/Library
Is what is used in all project files.
It will be great to get rid of this by means of symbols-lib-table...

For the machine I used to test the remap the folder
  /Users/bstegmaier/10 - Projekte/KiCad/Library
Is actually a symlink to
  /Volumes/OSXData/bstegmaier/10 - Projekte/KiCad

For the Devices library the remap-generated project table entry is
<<<
…
(lib (name Devices1)(type Legacy)(uri "/Users/bstegmaier/10 - Projekte/KiCad/Library/Devices.lib")(options "")(descr ""))
…

My global table has
<<<
…
(lib (name Displays)(type Legacy)(uri ${KICAD_SYMBOL_DIR}/Displays.lib)(options "")(descr "Display devices"))
…

with ${KICAD_SYMBOL_DIR} being
  /Volumes/OSXData/bstegmaier/10 - Projekte/KiCad/Library

> There a several reasons why this could happen depending your environment
> variables, global system library table configuration, project symbol
> library list, and any symbol library lookup paths added to the project.

So, I guess this won’t match as you said, or do you attempt to resolve the symlink for comparison?

> Is the full path and file name for Devices in the global symbol library
> table the same as Devices1 in the project symbol library table?  If not,
> then it's your configuration and the remapping is correct.  If the paths
> are the same, then there is a bug in the remapping algorithm that I
> missed.  If it's the latter, please file a bug report so I can fix it.

I did a quick check and set ${KICAD_SYMBOL_DIR} to
  /Users/bstegmaier/10 - Projekte/KiCad/Library
=> the symlink to the real folder, the same as used in the *.pro file.

Remapping did work without problems then and didn’t create a project table.

If you consider this a bug, I can file a bug report for it…

Thanks,
Bernhard