Re: macOS GUI Quirks

On 12/06/2017 11:40 AM, Bernhard Stegmaier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as some of might know, I am working on macOS and some things seem to work a bit different there (wrt KiCad).
> During my last project I came across some dialogs, widgets, etc. where initial sizing is not correct (so, not all content is shown), etc.
> Mostly no real showstoppers, but leaves a very unprofessional impression…
>
> I will try to reproduce those I can remember and try to fix them.
> I guess most of them only need some wisely placed Layout(), etc. calls to fix.
>
> So, is there any document, guidelines, dos and don’ts, etc. how to achieve maximum compatibility/portability with wx?
> Something like “place a Layout() at end of each dialog constructor”?

There is a UI policy in the developer docs at
http://docs.kicad-pcb.org/doxygen/md_Documentation_development_ui-policy.html.
 If we need to add any macos specific policies, I'm fine with that.  As
for placing layout in each ctor, you need to be careful here.  No all
dialogs use the ctor to initialize the control contents nor should they.
 The wx way is to override TransferDataTo/FromWindow or use validators
to accomplish this task but few of our dialogs follow this practice.
There are some differences between the ctor and the wx way which have to
do with event timing so you may have to modify your approach depending
on the dialog.