Re: for improving doc reports

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 12:40:06PM +0100, Nick Østergaard wrote:
> See inline comments.

> > Hello devs!
> > I would like to ask for a favour to improve the reports for errors in the
> > docs.
> >
> > Since we have some CI engines in place for checking for correctness of
> > the doc source, I am here to ask for a little improvement.
> >
> > in
> >
> > http://docs.kicad-pcb.org/
> >
> > now there is:
> >
> > - all the 4.0.X version of the docs (4.0.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, etc.)
> > - under the "stable" dir the last stable version released (an alias for
> > 4.0.7)
> > - under the "master" dir the last correctly compiled version of the
> > ongoing dev master branch
> >
> > I would like to have:
> >
> > - just the last stable version (i.e. 4.0.7) should be enough
> >

> I don't see why we should remove the old ones if we can avoid it. It is
> useful for comparison.

No problem for me.

> > - under the "stable" dir the last correctly compiled version of the
> > ongoing "stable" branch
> >   (i.e. the top of the 4.0 branch)
> >

> I would like to keep it as is with that. But we can add a new dir called
> stable-next or stable-head or stable-5 for the tip of the relevant stable
> branch.

great!

> > - under the "master" dir the last correctly compiled version of the
> > ongoing dev "master" branch
> >   (i.e  the top of the master branch)
> >

> This is what there is now, if I understand you correctly.

yes, sorry I was not clear. I meant it is ok as it is.

> > And also some direct links from the web pages to these pages from here:
> >
> > http://kicad-pcb.org/help/documentation/
> >
> > would be the classic "icing on the cake"
> >

> Direct links to what exactly?

I mean that actually in http://kicad-pcb.org/help/documentation there is
no mention of the existence of the dir http://docs.kicad-pcb.org/
still, there are links that references to the html results from the page

http://kicad-pcb.org/help/documentation/

http://docs.kicad-pcb.org/stable/en/getting_started_in_kicad.html

for example, and to

http://docs.kicad-pcb.org/master/en/plugins.html

I would:

1) make that dir explicit. Something like: See here_ to access all
   documentation files directly (or something like that)... where
   _here_ is a simple web link to http://docs.kicad-pcb.org

optionally...

2) add links to the "stable-next" (I would call it "stable-devel") and
   "master" (nextversion-devel) sections of the docs formatted in the
   same way as for the stable docs but in a "under development" section

TIA

Best regards,

--

Marco Ciampa