Re: Libedit and Modedit Icons

I would love to see improved icons, I still never get used to them so i read the tooltip, newer know which one is pcb and which one is module editor.

Luckily most of the time I only need to double click the kicad_pcb file anyway :)

On 2018-01-06 15:08, Nick Østergaard wrote:

    +1

    And I like Oliver’s proposed icons.  I’d suggest two further
    changes though:

    1) The schematic icon (which Oliver didn’t change) should really
    use the default colours (dark red symbols, green wires).  Then
    there’s a stronger tie-in with the libedit icon.

    2) I think I’d drop the dimensions from the modedit icon, and
    change the pad colour to the default (yellow).

The default pad color is not yellow, that is only what you see for THT pads. Default pad color is green for bottom and red for top copper

    3) Projects should use the current New Project icon, rather than
    the application icon.

I have considered to submit a patch for this for some time, but I guess it is an appropiate time to do this with a major version bump.

    4) Both the New Project and New Project from Template icons should
    get yellow “new” star.

    5) New Footprint in modedit also needs the star, and the star on
    New Symbol in libedit made more prominent.

    Cheers,
    Jeff.

    On 6 Jan 2018, at 12:30, Oliver Walters
    <oliver.henry.walters@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:oliver.henry.walters@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I think there is a need to tweak the libedit and modedit icons,
    as identified below:

    <Selection_006.png>

    <Selection_007.png>

    1. The blue 'textured' background is out of place with the other
    icons
    2. They are very cluttered and hard to read
    3. Weirdly specific callout of dimensions and part names (out of
    character with other icons)

    Further, I think that the pcbnew icon could be adjusted slightly
    to make it look a bit more like a PCB

    Even as someone who uses KiCad on a regular basis I find myself
    double checking which icon I am about to click on (and still
    getting it wrong half of the time).

    Below is a /**suggestion**/ of some improvements. I am not trying
    to back my own horse here, I'd be happy for anyone else to
    suggest a better design for any of these. But I feel that
    changing these icons would be a good improvement to make before
    the v5 release. There have been many people complaining about
    these icons in particular, both here and on the user forums.

    <Selection_008.png>

    Is this a worthwhile endeavor, or are people attached to the
    weird blue icons?