Re: Some thoughts on symbol remapping

On 10/01/18 19:54, Matthijs Kooijman wrote:
Hi Wayne,

If the remapping algorithm cannot find the exact library match which
is currently being used (and should be in the project library list or
the cache) to provide the symbol, then there is no way to determine
the correct library and therefore cannot be remapped.  It also means
that your schematic is already broken.  This is why you should not
skip the rescue feature.
I can't quite remember if I skipped the rescue dialog (quite possibly),
but I can imagine a user (such as me) would reason that there is no need
for rescueing symbols into a rescue library, since all symbols are
available in their newly set lib table.
The symbols in your legacy schematic are almost certainly not in the new
symbol library table given the recent changes to the symbol libraries.
I was under the impression that symbols mostly got moved around, and
only some of them got renamed, but perhaps that impression is wrong.

Very few symbols them selves have been renamed. We mainly moved them around to other libs. I don't know exactly how the remapping would handle that case. But worst case you can switch over to the new lib using a kicad 4 release and do the remapping after you transferred over to the new lib. (Don't try to do both at once. There is just more that can go wrong that way.)

Be careful with libs that have symbols with invisible power pins in them. (logic libs) We eliminated these type of symbols and changed them to have a separate unit for the power pins. (Sadly ERC will not complain if you don't place the power unit down. So if you update to the new symbols and forget to manually place the power unit you will get a pcb that has ICs in there that are not connected to power.)