Re: Future plans on the KiCad library releases?

Hi Wayne, Carsten,

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 12:49:00PM -0500, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> I agree 100%.  Once we tag the v5 stable libraries, package devs should
> clone from that version for every v5 point release to prevent the issue
> you are describing.

I think there might be a misunderstanding here. Wayne, I think you're
saying that there should be a *single* "v5" that is shipped along with
5.x.x KiCad releases?

I think Carsten was suggesting to have regular library releases, but use
a "v5" tag in the version number to indicate that it is intended for use
with any KiCad 5.x.x version.

Also, your wording implies (to me) that you're assuming that the
libraries will be shipped along with the binary (which I guess makes
sense on a Windows-installer based system), but I'm pretty sure that
most Linux distros will want to put the libraries in separate packages,
which are separately upgraded from the main KiCad binaries.

I'm not sure if these misunderstandings really exist, but it seems
useful to point them out.

Gr.

Matthijs